One of the biggest aids we have encountered when growing chillies is fish emulsion.
We recommend fertilizing the chili plant every 2 weeks up from the time of germination to when the plant just starts to fruit.
For best results with the fish emulsion we would suggest these steps.
- Ensure that the chillie plants had a very good watering the previous day or that morning as we will cut down on water over the next 2 days.
- Mix the fish emulsion as per packet instructions.
- Water the chilli plants at the base with the liquid. Ensure a generous amount is used as this is the plants only drink for the day. Also make sure that the liquid soaks through he soil to the roots so they can consume all the nutrients.
- The following day water the plant lightly trying not to disrupt the soaked in fish emulsion mixture under the soil. Feel free to give the foliage a good spray with water though.
- Resume normal watering daily.
As said we would only suggest doing this every few weeks. Results we have noticed is the following days after fish emulsion is added that the plants really wake up and grow, they appear greener and fuller and vibrant, it’s amazing when you go outside and notice it.
Do not fertilize while the plants are fruiting.
Also note the fish emulsion has a foul smell, try not to get it onto your hands where possible.
Fish emulsion can be purchased from local gardening stores, larger supermarkets and retail stores with gardening section. You can also purchase fish emulsion from amazon which we would highly recommend. Their products are below.